I loved Disney movies growing up (who didn’t?), but I think I’m having even more fun as a 27 year old watching the classics, looking at everything through a deeper, more mature lens. One of the Disney movies that I recently saw with my sister-in-law was Sleeping Beauty, a movie that definitely was not one of my favorites as a child. I didn’t watch it as much as the other ones, like Little Mermaid or Aladdin, but I remember liking the fairies and thinking they were cute. Seeing it again 12 years later, I had no idea that I would see things so differently. First, I always thought of it as a story about Sleeping Beauty, or Aurora, since A) that’s the title of the movie, and B) most Disney movies are about the princess. But this movie is actually all about Prince Phillip and what he must do to find true love. I believe there are some pretty obvious religious undertones and that Phillip could easily represent us in the struggles of the Christian walk, battling the devil with the help of three fairies (or the trinity), but I decided to look at it through a slightly different angle. Here are 5 ways men can learn how to find true love through Phillip’s character.
1) Looks are overrated, go deeper. This is not a love at first sight story. Prince Phillip did not feast his eyes on Rose’s gorgeous self and fall instantly in love. What first attracted him to her? “That voice.” She was singing. It’s as simple as that. She was blessed with the most beautiful singing voice in the world, and she was using it. She wasn’t ashamed of it. Granted, her only audience were the friendly creatures of the forest, but she found pleasure in exercising her talent, and someone noticed. I believe that most men think that they just want to be with most beautiful or hottest woman ever, and personality is just a bonus. In reality, what you are most attracted to is confidence. Confidence and talent. Confidence to use your talent. Looks can come and go, but one of the reasons you really fall in love with a woman is for her God-given talent. You respect that about her, you love that about her, and that is what becomes most attractive about her. I think my husband finds me most attractive when he sees me writing. He loves when I exercise my talent. It’s a sad reality, but looks are not forever. So guys, when thinking about your soul mate, think about what mostly attracts you to her. If it’s just looks, then she’s not the one. Keep on looking. Find a girl who is truly alive, and lives her life with that passion.
2) Escape your prison. The second thing that stood out to me when watching this movie was when Phillip was a prisoner in Maleficent’s castle. There he was, taking a perfectly good stroll in the forest, found the woman of his dreams, and one decision cost him a life in prison. Isn’t that life? Everything seems to be going so well, you’re head over heels in love, and then shit happens. An evil demon bitch holds you captive. So here he is, sitting in his prison cell, with the sounds of the demon celebration echoing in the prison walls. How much did he think life sucked at that moment? It’s a good thing three fairies came to nudge him to his freedom. What’s interesting is that they make it very clear to him that they are not going to do it for him. After she uses her magic from her wand to release his shackles, Flora, one of the fairies, tells him, “Wait, Prince Phillip. The road to love may be barred by still many more dangers, which you alone will have to face.” They are there to help him, but they know that he himself needs to do some serious hard work to find true love. After hearing that, Phillip could have been like, “Oh hell no. I’m not leaving my cell. Have you seen Maleficent? That bitch is crazy. I have to go through even more dangers for a woman? No thanks. My cell is looking pretty comfy right about now.” But he didn’t say that. With a look of determination and confidence, Prince Phillip was ready for battle. He decided that he himself was going to get himself out of his prison. Before you can get into a relationship, you need to escape your prison. This prison can be anything, the prison of your own mind, your home, your parents, your family, your past, whatever prevents you from moving forward, growing up, or being the person you want to be. You also have to realize that this is your journey, your choice. It’s not going to be easy finding your true love. People can help you along the way, but you are the one doing all of the work. There will be hardships. The question is, are you man enough to get out of your prison?
3) Persist through the battle. Prince Phillip is able to escape his prison with the help of his fairy friends. But did you think that was enough to get him to his woman? No! Bitch has to create a forest of thorns. At this second sight of danger, Phillip still doesn’t give up. Thorns? No problem. He pulls out his sword and attacks them with all his might. There’s a scene of Phillip thrashing at the thorns, which seems like an eternity of hitting at something, but more just keep piling up. Never ending. Will these thorns ever go away? Is this Aurora even worth it? I did only dance with her for five minutes. But he kept going. Guys, being in a relationship is seriously a battle. Whether it’s a battle with your woman, a battle with yourself, a battle with God, it’s a battle. War. You fight and fight, and you don’t seem to get anywhere. You ask yourself if this is really worth it. You want to take the easy way out. But being in a relationship isn’t easy. It’s quite scary actually. It’s hard work, but anything worth having in life will never come easy. The point is, don’t be threatened by the seemingly never-ending thorns. If you’re woman is worth it, keep fighting. Be prepared for this battle. Read books, ask people what their secret is, get therapy, whatever. But don’t give up!
4) Figure out our your mommy issues. Finally, the thorns diminish and a path is cleared. Prince Phillip gallops toward his future bride, but only to be stopped by the devil herself. Why she’s represented as a woman is very interesting to me. In fact, I have a theory that someone who wrote these fairy tales had some serious mommy issues. Why are so many of the “bad guys” in Disney movies women? They are either step-mothers or a big octopus or evil queens. Someone had some serious issues, and I’m guessing it was most likely with their mother or a mother-figure. Whoever this huge, ominous woman-figure is in your life, you’re gonna have to deal with it, before you get into a relationship. If you had a bad relationship with your mother, you’re going to need to figure that out, because realistically, that will most likely affect how your relationship will be with your wife. Maybe it isn’t your mother you are dealing with, but that of your bride’s. Perhaps her relationship with her mother is not so good. You will need to be prepared for that as well. She could be held captive in her mother’s castle, in the deep dungeon of her heart, and her mother will try her best to keep her in there forever. You need to figure this out, and it will probably feel like battling a fire-breathing dragon who is trying to eat you and crush your soul.
5) Smell nice. Lastly, keep good hygiene, cause no woman wants to be woken up with a kiss by a man who has bad breath or smells like fire and sweat. Take showers! And brush your teeth! The end.